Friday 18 November 2016

Wilma Flintstone vest and a quick cashmere kimono coat, both from same pattern, Burda Easy A-W 2016-2017

I'm a little late to the fur vest trend, and I'm not sure why. I live in snow country, after all, a fur vest requires only one metre of fabric plus lining, and it takes about an hour to sew. I guess I didn't luuuurrrve any of the fake furs on offer in town until I spotted one just made for me—dark blue mink-like fur with a lovely 'hand,' and even better, on sale as a remnant.



I had already traced out the Burda Easy master pattern for this winter, which offers jacket, above-knee length fur vest, a full-length wool vest, a sleeveless jacket, and a full long coat version.

These patterns are meant for beginners who want trendy fashion super fast, but for my blue-fur 'Wilma Flintstone,' I inserted pockets borrowed from my Narnia Burda fur coat made some years ago. I also added fur hook closures at the neck and waist, (closeup above)


And I made the full coat version in a lightweight black cashmere blend (just above) but, because I'm a grown-up and don't have any excuses, I traced and added in a full lining and added a belt, topstitching the edges of the coat and belt at 10 cm.

It's snowing like blazes right now, so here I am, making the best of the frozen weather.

Heftvorschau Easy HW 2016

6 comments:

  1. Fashion forward with couture treatment. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. I do sometimes wonder if there's any reader out there, and appreciate hearing from people. Warmest wishes for the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of a master pattern - and the fur vest looks very cozy. Enjoy the snow. I grew up in a place where it snowed, but now we live where it just rains and rains and rains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lorrie! It's hard to enjoy something that means hours of shoveling, but perhaps you're right—resolution for 2017:more winter sports! XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both pieces, one is very practical and one is very fun and they both really suit you. It's great to be able to whip up simple pieces that look high end and luxurious though I think you made the right call to add lining to the coat - cashmere deserves a lining!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Allison. You always make me miss my twenty years in HK and I never miss your blog, and appreciate your input. The cashmere/wool was the right choice for the graceful drape of a 'waterfall' collar, but just a bit thin for a winter coat in Switzerland. The choice of a classic substantial coat lining fabric brings it up to speed as an outer garment, 'just.'
    XX

    ReplyDelete