Monday 17 December 2012

The Burda "Classic" Magazine issued last month

Last month, Burda issued an out-of-series special, called The Classics, based very loosely on a Chanel look, and I nabbed it with high hopes. Unfortunately, I find the styles just a tad clunky and boxy, as if they took everything I hoped for and stripped the designs down one notch too far. It's not labelled "Easy," so it's not part of that series, but still, the items look under-designed. Check out the whole magazine, by clicking here: Burda Classic Collection
This issue would be a great start for people who like to draft their own Frankenpatterns, need a work wardrobe that doesn't scream 'trend-slave,' or for a young sewist who wants to build her pattern library with some fundamentals she could play with.
But some of the styling relies too much on judicious accessorizing.

As I was just blogging about the option in the Style archives for 'shovel-neck' sheaths, (and I ignored many more nice designs for Plus sewists,) here's the Classic offering, which gives us a fitting seam, Empire-style, under the bosom and two darts, as well as three sleeve options. As you can see, it is a classic design, lacking the little edge that brings these dresses closer to the Galaxy look.



11 comments:

  1. I just finished the classic jacket in this issue. Of course it looks nothing like the jacket represented in the magazine.
    I constructed it in mohair, a brooch instead of buttons, and the pattern becomes a template....that is the Frankenpattern of which you mention.
    Yes, I agree, a decent issue, next I will follow the pattern rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much as I love Burda, I think I'll give this one a miss! Ta for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the magazine review. I agree, it's not for me. I might be tempted if I were returning to work soon, but I am not.
    I am now looking for a well detailed men's coat pattern. Pickings are slim!

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, if we don't hear from you before then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karin, the Conductor Son has been begging for a black wool coat to replace his EBay find for concerts. If you find the pattern, please share!
    Happy Xmas to you and your family, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne, where have you been?
    Merry Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've considered buying this issue but I think, after your review and looking at the issue thanks to your link, I'll give it a pass. Thanks for saving me $15!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's no doubt i would fully rate it after i read what is the idea about this article. You did a nice job.. cheap hyip template

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Lyric Notes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips and very easy to understand. This will definitely be very useful for me when I get a chance to start my blog. Available hunting leases

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel very grateful that I read this. It is very helpful and very informative and I really learned a lot from it. dumpster rental

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really very nice post you shared, i like the post, thanks for sharing.. Designer

    ReplyDelete